Gorton Works
Gorton Works — universally known as 'the Tank' from the overhead water tanks that distinguished the site — was the principal locomotive manufacturing establishment of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway and its successor the Great Central Railway, operating from 1848 on a 30-acre site in Gorton, east Manchester, adjacent to and in friendly rivalry with Beyer, Peacock and Co.'s Gorton Foundry. The site occupied a central position in the northern railway geography — close to the MSLR's main line through the Pennines and conveniently placed for the Manchester engineering supply trade — and produced locomotives for the GCR's intensive freight and express passenger operations through the pre-Grouping era's most productive period.
Gorton's golden era was the twenty-two years of John G. Robinson's tenure as GCR CME (1900–1922), during which the works produced one of the most respected locomotive design portfolios of the pre-Grouping period. Robinson's 8K class 2-8-0 heavy freight locomotive of 1911 was adopted by the War Department as the standard military freight locomotive in the First World War, with 521 built — a testament to the design's robustness and the Gorton works' engineering quality that attracted an international military procurement of the very type it had produced. The Director class 4-4-0 was so well regarded that the LNER continued building it new after the 1923 Grouping. When the GCR Grouping gave Robinson the choice of becoming LNER's first CME, he declined on grounds of age and recommended Gresley — a gesture of professional generosity whose consequences proved immense.
Under the LNER Gorton continued as a major works for the former GCR territory, and under British Railways built the EM1 (Class 76) and EM2 (Class 77) electric locomotives for the Manchester–Sheffield Woodhead Route electrification of 1954. Closure came on 31 May 1963 in the Beeching-era rationalisation of British railway engineering. The site is now occupied by light industry; the nearby Barrow Hill Roundhouse preserves the roundhouse locomotive depot tradition from the same East Midlands/South Yorkshire territory that Gorton served.
About
Gorton Works (also known as Gorton Tank or 'The Tank') was the locomotive works of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway and its successor the Great Central Railway from its foundation in 1848 until closure by British Railways on 31 May 1963. The works occupied a 30-acre site in Gorton, east Manchester, alongside the company's main line and adjacent to Beyer, Peacock & Co.'s rather better-known Gorton Foundry.
Gorton's most celebrated era was under the Great Central, when John G. Robinson (CME 1900–1922) produced one of the most respected locomotive design portfolios of the pre-Grouping era, the 8K heavy-freight 2-8-0 (adopted as the standard ROD wartime engine and built in 521 examples), the Director 4-4-0 and the Lord Faringdon 4-6-0.
Under the LNER, Gorton continued to build new engines including derivatives of the GCR types and several Gresley designs. After 1948 it was the principal works for BR's 1500 V dc Manchester–Sheffield Woodhead Route electrification, building the EM2 (Class 77) electric locomotives in 1953–1954. Gorton closed in May 1963; the works site is now occupied by light industry. The neighbouring Gorton Foundry of Beyer Peacock closed three years later in 1966.

