GCR Class 9P [LNER B3]
The GCR Class 9P, classified LNER B3 after the 1923 Grouping, was Robinson's most powerful express passenger 4-6-0, introduced at Gorton Works in 1910 and representing the culmination of his GCR 4-6-0 express passenger development. The B3s — six locomotives built between 1910 and 1920 — were the Great Central Railway's heaviest and most capable express engines, designed for the principal Anglo-Midlands and Anglo-Northern express services on the London Extension where train weights had grown beyond what the 11B Atlantics could haul comfortably to schedule.
Robinson specified four outside cylinders for the B3 — four-cylinder simple expansion with two cylinders on each side driving the same coupled axle — in contrast to the two-cylinder outside-cylinder arrangement of his earlier 4-6-0s. The four-cylinder layout gave a more even turning moment on the driving axle and smoother power delivery, and the combined cylinder volume produced a substantial tractive effort. The 6 ft 9 in coupled wheels were the same diameter as Robinson's other express types. Walschaerts valve gear was specified, a modern choice that gave precise steam distribution at all speeds.
The six B3s were named after football clubs with Midlands and Northern connections that the GCR served: Earl Haig, Jutland, Valour, Somme, Ypres, and Mons — First World War commemorative names applied in 1920 that reflected the post-war mood of the railway's management. Under the LNER the B3s worked principal former-GCR expresses and were highly regarded for their power and smooth running, but the small class size of six meant they were never able to dominate the GCR's express workings in the way that a larger fleet would have permitted. They were withdrawn in the 1940s, none surviving to preservation.
Design and development
Robinson designed the 9P at Gorton in 1910 as the GCR's definitive express passenger locomotive, adopting four outside cylinders in simple expansion with Walschaerts valve gear for smooth power delivery and maximum tractive effort. The 6 ft 9 in coupled wheels were consistent with Robinson's other express types. Six locomotives were built between 1910 and 1920, receiving First World War commemorative names in 1920.
Service and withdrawals
The B3s worked principal GCR and LNER express services from 1910. Highly regarded for smooth running and power, the small class size limited their impact. Under the LNER they worked secondary express duties as Gresley types took over the premier workings. Withdrawn 1943–49; none preserved.
Identification features
Four-cylinder 4-6-0 with 6 ft 9 in coupled wheels.
Numbers and names
Named locomotives (outside the listed ranges)
- 0 — Earl Haig
- 0 — Jutland
- 0 — Valour
- 0 — Somme
- 0 — Ypres
- 0 — Mons
Six locomotives named after First World War battles and commanders (names applied 1920). None preserved.
Notable locomotives
- 1169 Lord Faringdon (1917, not preserved)
Allocations and regions
Gorton (Manchester) and Neasden (London) for GCR and LNER principal express services on the London Extension: Marylebone–Sheffield, Marylebone–Manchester, and the premier Anglo-Midlands services.

