Ashford Works

Ashford Works was the principal locomotive manufacturing and maintenance establishment of the South Eastern Railway, the South Eastern and Chatham Railway, and subsequently the Southern Railway's Eastern Section, operating from its 1847 foundation on a site north of Ashford station in Kent until British Railways closed the works to locomotive construction in June 1962. Through 115 years of continuous operation it served as the engineering heart of the railways of Kent, producing the locomotives that worked the dense suburban services of London's south-eastern suburbs, the Continental boat trains to Folkestone and Dover, and the varied traffic of the Kent and Sussex countryside.

The works was established by James Cudworth, the South Eastern Railway's Locomotive Superintendent, who developed Ashford from a modest maintenance facility into a capable manufacturing works. Cudworth's own engineering legacy includes the Cudworth firebox of 1856 — an innovation that enabled the burning of cheap Welsh small coal in place of the expensive coke that most Victorian locomotives used, a practically significant advance that spread across the British railway industry. His successor James Stirling continued locomotive manufacture, and under Harry Wainwright (1899–1913) Ashford produced its most celebrated steam classes. Wainwright's D Class 4-4-0 of 1901 — with its beautifully proportioned lines and elaborately lined livery — is frequently cited as one of the most aesthetically beautiful British locomotives ever built, its design largely the work of Chief Draughtsman Robert Surtees.

Richard Maunsell's tenure (1913–1922) at Ashford saw the production of the N Class 2-6-0 mixed-traffic locomotive of 1917, developed with significant input from GWR Swindon practice and incorporating long-travel valve gear and a high-degree superheater — a design that became the foundation of the Southern Railway's mixed-traffic locomotive policy after Grouping. Under the Southern and British Railways the works continued as a major overhaul shop and built EMU body shells for the expanding third-rail electric fleet through the 1950s. The locomotive work ended in June 1962; the site was subsequently cleared for the Ashford International Eurostar station development. The East Kent Railway preserves railway heritage in the former Ashford Works' operating territory.

About

Ashford Works was the principal locomotive works of the South Eastern Railway from 1847, and afterwards of the South Eastern and Chatham Railway (1899–1922) and the Southern Railway's Eastern Section. It was founded by James Cudworth on a site north of Ashford station in Kent.

Successive Locomotive Superintendents, James Cudworth (1845–1876), James Stirling (1878–1898), Harry Wainwright (1899–1913) and Richard Maunsell (1913–1922), built up Ashford's reputation for tidy, well-engineered locomotives. Wainwright's SECR D Class 4-4-0 of 1901 was Ashford-built. Maunsell's N Class mixed-traffic 2-6-0 of 1917 became the foundation of much subsequent Southern practice.

Under the Southern and BR Southern Region, Ashford continued as a major works for steam overhaul and built large numbers of EMU body shells in the 1950s. The works closed for locomotive work in June 1962 in the Beeching-era contraction; the EMU shop survived a few years longer. The site is now occupied by part of the international station and adjoining mixed-use development.