LSWR 415 Class (Adams Radial)
The LSWR 415 Class, almost always known as the Adams Radial, was a fleet of 71 4-4-2 radial tank locomotives designed by William Adams for the London and South Western Railway. Built between 1882 and 1885, they were intended for the LSWR's growing London suburban services into Waterloo. The class is best remembered for an extraordinary survival: three engines were kept in service through the Southern Railway and British Railways periods specifically to work the sharply-curved Lyme Regis branch in Devon, until the last of them was retired in August 1961.
Adams was appointed LSWR locomotive superintendent in 1878, with a brief to design a new generation of suburban tank engines that could handle the company's heavy London commuter trains and run smoothly through busy junctions. His response was a 4-4-2 radial tank: a six-wheel coupled wheelbase for adhesion, with a leading bogie and a trailing radial axle for steady running. Adams' chief contribution was the radial axle itself, an arrangement he had developed at the Great Eastern Railway before moving to the LSWR. Each radial truck was carried in a hornblock that pivoted within an arc, the centre of which was on the centre line of the locomotive between the coupled wheels. As the engine entered a curve the truck swung both axially and radially, keeping the wheels closer to a tangent to the rail and reducing flange wear at higher speeds.
71 engines were built in batches between 1882 and 1885 by Beyer, Peacock & Co. of Manchester, Robert Stephenson and Company of Newcastle, Dübs & Co. of Glasgow, and Neilson & Co. They worked the LSWR's heavy suburban services into Waterloo, the cross-London services to the East London Railway, and the busy Putney and Chiswick lines. They were popular with their crews for free running and steady riding, but the class was displaced relatively quickly. Dugald Drummond succeeded Adams in 1895 and his M7 0-4-4 tank of 1897 took over almost all the LSWR's suburban work over the following decade. By the early 1900s the radials had been pushed out to country branches, and a substantial group was sold to the Ministry of Munitions during the First World War.
By the time the Southern Railway was formed in 1923, only a handful of radials survived. The SR scrapped the rest with one striking exception: three engines were retained for the Lyme Regis branch in Devon, where the sharp 7-chain curves of the line and the light track of the Cannington Viaduct demanded a small, low-axle-load engine that no other Southern type could safely provide. The three retained engines (0125, 0488, and 0520, later 30582, 30583, and 30584) were rebuilt with new boilers and Drummond pattern fittings, and worked the Lyme Regis branch through the 1930s, the Second World War, and the early BR era. They were displaced from regular service in 1961 by BR Standard 2-6-2 tanks, and all three had been withdrawn by August 1961.
One Adams Radial survives. 30583 (built by Robert Stephenson in 1885 as LSWR 0488) was acquired straight from BR by the Bluebell Railway in 1961 and moved to the Sussex line. It has steamed in two preservation periods and is currently on static display at Sheffield Park, awaiting a long-term overhaul. 30582 and 30584 were scrapped at Eastleigh shortly after withdrawal. The Adams radial axle principle, although superseded by the bogie tank engines that displaced it, was an important step in the development of free-running British tank engines, and 30583 remains one of only a handful of LSWR locomotives preserved in any form.
Design and development
William Adams was appointed locomotive superintendent of the London and South Western Railway in 1878, succeeding William George Beattie. The LSWR at that period was running a heavy and rapidly-growing suburban service into Waterloo, and the existing 2-4-0WT and 0-4-2T classes were proving inadequate to the loads. Adams' brief was a new suburban tank engine that could handle eight-coach trains in the rush hours, work hard between station stops, and run smoothly enough at speed for cross-London services.
His response was a 4-4-2 radial tank: a six-wheel coupled wheelbase for adhesion, with a leading bogie and a trailing radial axle for steady running through pointwork. Adams' chief contribution was the radial axle itself, an arrangement he had developed at the Great Eastern Railway before moving to the LSWR. Each radial truck was carried in a hornblock that pivoted within an arc, the centre of which was on the centre line of the locomotive between the coupled wheels. As the engine entered a curve the truck swung both axially and radially, keeping the wheels closer to a tangent to the rail and reducing flange wear. The arrangement allowed the engine to handle sharp curves at higher speeds than a fixed-axle equivalent, which was important for fast running through London junctions.
71 engines were built between 1882 and 1885, in batches by Beyer, Peacock & Co. of Manchester, Robert Stephenson and Company of Newcastle, Dübs & Co. of Glasgow, and Neilson & Co. The choice of multiple builders reflected the LSWR's desire to have the engines in service quickly. The class was numbered in three groups, of which the 415 to 437 series gave the class its alternative title.
Service and withdrawals
In service the radials performed exactly as intended on London suburban work, handling the LSWR's heavy commuter trains into Waterloo, the cross-London services to the East London Railway, and the busy Putney and Chiswick lines. They were popular with their crews for free running and steady riding through pointwork. The class was, however, displaced relatively quickly: Dugald Drummond succeeded Adams in 1895 and his much-loved M7 0-4-4 tank, introduced in 1897, was so successful that it took over almost all the LSWR's suburban work over the next decade. By the early 1900s most of the radials had been pushed out to country branches; by 1910 most were on the LSWR's duplicate list (denoting reserve or out-of-traffic stock), and a substantial group was sold to the Ministry of Munitions and other industrial users during the First World War.
By the time the Southern Railway was formed in 1923, only a handful of radials survived. They were quickly consigned to scrap with the exception of three engines retained specifically for the Lyme Regis branch in Devon, where the sharp curves and light track demanded a small, low axle-load engine that could safely take the speed restrictions of the Cannington Viaduct and the 7-chain curves at the line's southern end. The retention of three radials, kept in working order by overhauls at Eastleigh and rebuilds with new boilers, was an extraordinary survival into the BR era of a class otherwise entirely scrapped.
The Lyme Regis branch closed to passengers in November 1965, although the radials were displaced from regular branch duty in 1961 by BR Standard 2-6-2 tanks (Class 4 Mickey Mouse pattern). All three radials had been withdrawn by the end of 1961.
Identification features
Numbers and names
129–132
- 129
- 130
- 131
- 132
415–437
- 415
- 416
- 417
- 418
- 419
- 420
- 421
- 422
- 423
- 424
- 425
- 426
- 427
- 428
- 429
- 430
- 431
- 432
- 433
- 434
- 435
- 436
- 437
488–511
- 488
- 489
- 490
- 491
- 492
- 493
- 494
- 495
- 496
- 497
- 498
- 499
- 500
- 501
- 502
- 503
- 504
- 505
- 506
- 507
- 508
- 509
- 510
- 511
519–524
- 519
- 520
- 521
- 522
- 523
- 524
LSWR 41 to 46, 125, 129 to 132, 415 to 437, 488 to 511, and 519 to 524, built in batches between 1882 and 1885 by Beyer, Peacock & Co. of Manchester, Robert Stephenson and Company of Newcastle, Dübs & Co. of Glasgow, and Neilson & Co. The 415 series gave the class its alternative name. Most were renumbered into the LSWR duplicate list (with leading "0") in the 1900s as Drummond's replacements arrived. The three retained for the Lyme Regis branch were 0125, 0488, and 0520; under Southern Railway and BR these became 3125, 3488, 3520 and finally 30582, 30583, 30584.
Notable locomotives
0488 (later 30583) is the surviving Adams Radial. Built by Robert Stephenson and Company in 1885 as LSWR 488, it worked Nine Elms suburban turns, was placed on the duplicate list as 0488 around 1903, and was sold out of service to the East Kent Railway in 1917 along with several others. Reacquired by the LSWR in 1946 (after which it became part of the SR retained-stock for the Lyme Regis branch), it was renumbered 3488 by the SR and 30583 by BR. Withdrawn from Lyme Regis duty in 1961, it was the last engine to leave the branch in steam and was preserved straight from service.
0125 (later 30582) was built in 1885 by Beyer, Peacock & Co. and was one of the three retained for the Lyme Regis branch. It worked the branch from 1928 until withdrawal in 1961. After withdrawal it was scrapped at Eastleigh, the last surviving radial on the SR mainland that was not preserved.
0520 (later 30584) was the third Lyme Regis engine, working the branch alongside 30582 and 30583 from 1928 until 1961. Like 30582 it was scrapped at Eastleigh after withdrawal.
The retention of three radials for the Lyme Regis branch was unusual and a result of the branch's demanding curvature. After the East Kent sales of 1917, every other example of the class had been withdrawn or sold, and the SR found that no other available type could safely work the branch. Three engines were rebuilt with new boilers and Drummond pattern fittings to keep them in service, which they did until full closure of the branch to passenger traffic in November 1965 (by which time replacement BR Standard 2-6-2 tanks had been used since 1961).
Allocations and regions
Livery history
As built in the 1880s the class was painted in the LSWR's pre-Drummond Adams pea-green and brown lined-out livery, which was an unusually elaborate scheme by Victorian standards. By 1900 most were in plain Drummond LSWR olive green, lined out in black-and-white. The Southern Railway from 1923 painted the surviving engines in plain Maunsell green and later wartime black; British Railways from 1948 painted the three Lyme Regis engines in lined mixed-traffic black with the early lion-and-wheel emblem.
The preserved 30583 has carried both BR lined black and an approximation of LSWR Drummond green during its preservation career and is currently maintained in BR mixed-traffic lined black by the Bluebell Railway.

