Lochgorm Works

Lochgorm Works was the locomotive engineering establishment of the Highland Railway, located in Inverness on a site between the Highland Main Line and the River Ness — a setting that made it the most northerly locomotive works of any British main-line railway, serving a system whose routes crossed some of the most remote and demanding terrain in Britain. Founded in 1855 when the Inverness and Nairn Railway established its engineering facilities at Inverness, Lochgorm grew with the Highland Railway system through successive amalgamations and extensions until the 1923 Grouping absorbed it into the LMS.

The works built locomotives in modest numbers — approximately 250 in its independent life — constrained by the Highland's limited capital and its engineers' preference for sourcing from established commercial builders for larger classes. What Lochgorm excelled at was maintenance: keeping operational a fleet working in the most demanding conditions on the British railway system, where severe gradients at Drumochter and Slochd, extreme winter weather, and long distances between servicing points made locomotive reliability critical. The succession of Highland CMEs — Stroudley, David Jones, Peter Drummond, F.G. Smith, Cumming — all operated from Lochgorm as their design base, even when the actual construction of their classes was contracted to Sharp Stewart or other private builders.

The most historically significant design associated with Lochgorm was David Jones's Jones Goods 4-6-0 of 1894 — the first 4-6-0 in Britain — though the fifteen examples were built by Sharp Stewart rather than at Lochgorm itself. Under the LMS and BR, the works continued as a maintenance and overhaul facility, latterly handling the Highland's diesel fleet. The site survives today as Inverness Traincare Depot, maintaining ScotRail's Far North, Kyle of Lochalsh, and Highland Main Line fleets — unbroken railway engineering activity on the same Inverness site since 1855.

About

Lochgorm Works was the principal locomotive works of the Highland Railway from its foundation in 1855 until the 1923 Grouping, when it became part of the LMS's Scottish Area. The works occupies a triangular site in the centre of Inverness north of the Highland Main Line, on the southern bank of Loch Gorm (a former mill pond, drained in the early twentieth century).

Lochgorm built locomotives in modest numbers, about 250 over its independent life, but housed the design office of successive Highland Locomotive Superintendents Stroudley (1865–1869), David Jones (1869–1896), Peter Drummond (1896–1911), F. G. Smith (1912–1915) and Christopher Cumming (1915–1922). The most celebrated Lochgorm-designed engine is the Jones Goods 4-6-0 of 1894, Britain's first 4-6-0, though most were actually built by Sharp Stewart.

Under the LMS and BR, Lochgorm continued as a heavy-overhaul facility, latterly handling the Highland's diesel locomotive and DMU fleet. It survives today as the Inverness Traincare Depot, run by ScotRail (Abellio) for servicing the Far North, Kyle and Highland Main Line passenger fleet.