Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway

The Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway is a 2 ft 6 in narrow-gauge railway in mid-Wales, opened on 4 April 1903 between Welshpool on the Cambrian Railways main line and Llanfair Caereinion in the rural Banwy valley — built under the Light Railways Act 1896 to provide the scattered farming communities of the valley with rail access at the minimum possible cost. The W&LLR is the widest gauge of the Welsh narrow-gauge railways and the only one surviving in the valley country of Montgomeryshire rather than the slate quarrying districts of the north.

The railway's original locomotives — The Earl and The Countess, both Beyer Peacock 0-6-0T tanks built in 1902 and delivered before the railway opened — have worked the line throughout its existence, from the original commercial operation through the closure of passenger services in 1931 and goods traffic in 1956, and since the preservation society's reopening in 1963. Both survive and both remain operational, giving the W&LLR locomotives with an unbroken connection to the railway's foundation that is unmatched among British preserved narrow-gauge lines.

The preserved Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway was the first British narrow-gauge railway to be restored by volunteers, reopening in 1963 — predating even the Ffestiniog Railway's volunteer-operated preservation — and establishing the template for the narrow-gauge preservation movement that followed. The railway has since augmented its original Beyer Peacock locomotives with an international collection including engines from Sierra Leone, Antigua, and the Austrian Zillertal railway, giving the W&LLR one of the most geographically diverse locomotive rosters of any British heritage line.

About

The Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway is a mid-Wales 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow-gauge railway opened on 4 April 1903 between Welshpool and Llanfair Caereinion (about 9 miles). It was authorised under the Light Railways Act 1896 and built to provide rail access to the rural Banwy valley at minimum cost.

The line was always operationally part of the Cambrian Railways (and from 1923 the GWR, then BR Western Region from 1948). Passenger services ended in 1931; the line continued as a freight-only operation until BR closure on 5 November 1956.

Reopened as a heritage railway from 1963, the first British narrow-gauge railway to be preserved by volunteers, the W&L operates today between Welshpool's Raven Square station and Llanfair Caereinion using its original two locomotives The Earl and The Countess (built by Beyer Peacock 1902) and a varied collection of imported overseas narrow-gauge stock.