850 Lord Nelson, SR Lord Nelson Class

Notable history

Built at Eastleigh Works in 1926 to R. E. L. Maunsell's design, No. 850 was the prototype of the sixteen-strong Lord Nelson class and was named after Horatio Nelson. She entered traffic in August 1926, allocated new to Stewarts Lane shed at Battersea, and was withdrawn in August 1962.

Preserved as part of the National Collection and the sole survivor of her class, she arrived at Alresford in February 2009 to be based at Ropley, and has remained on the Mid-Hants Railway since under a loan agreement with the National Railway Museum, which continues to own her.

Additional notes

Location and status last confirmed Mid-Hants Railway (Watercress Line), August 2026. Subject to verification.

Part of the National Collection. Its boiler certificate expired in 2015 and it is stored awaiting overhaul; it has run on the national network during preservation.

No owner or livery is recorded here; the source consulted gives the location and status but not those details.