GWR 3200 Class (Dukedog)
The GWR 3200 Class, almost universally known as the Dukedog, was a small fleet of 29 hybrid 4-4-0 steam locomotives created by Charles Collett for the Great Western Railway in 1936. Built at Swindon Works between 1936 and 1939, the class combined the existing frames of the older Duke Class 4-4-0 with the larger and more modern boiler of the Bulldog Class. The result was a deliberately conservative engine intended for the Cambrian section's weight-restricted lines, and one example, 9017 Earl of Berkeley, has survived in working preservation at the Bluebell Railway.
The Dukedog had one of the more unusual histories of any British steam class. By the mid-1930s the GWR had a problem on the Cambrian section: the line's old Duke Class 4-4-0s of 1895 were worn out and uneconomic, but the route's weight restrictions ruled out using the more modern 4-cylinder Stars or 4-6-0 Halls. Charles Collett's solution, in 1936, was to combine the existing Duke Class frames (which were the right size and weight for the Cambrian) with the larger Bulldog Class boiler and modern fittings. The result was a true hybrid: existing frames, new boiler, modern cab and tender, with the names of the engines carried over from the older Earl Class (themselves rebuilds of the older Duke Class).
29 engines were built at Swindon between 1936 and 1939, mostly using older Duke and Earl Class frames as the basis. The class was nominally numbered in the 3200 series (hence the original class name) but was renumbered to 9000-9028 in 1946. The Dukedogs spent their entire working lives on the Cambrian and Welsh Border services, working the Cambrian Coast Express, the Cambrian Coast main-line trains, and the cross-country expresses through the Welsh Borders. They were a familiar sight at Aberystwyth and Pwllheli in the summer holiday season.
The class was largely withdrawn in the late 1950s as BR Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0s and 4MT 4-6-0s took over the Cambrian services. The last Dukedog in regular service was withdrawn in 1960. 9017 Earl of Berkeley was preserved by the Bluebell Railway in 1961 directly from BR service, in working order. It has worked at the Bluebell ever since, with successive overhauls keeping the engine in heritage railway service. As the only surviving member of the class, and as one of the last new-build GWR 4-4-0s, Earl of Berkeley is an authentic representative of the GWR's late conservatism in 4-4-0 design and of the Cambrian's long history of light traffic on weight-restricted lines.
Design and development
The Dukedog had one of the more unusual histories of any British steam class. By the mid-1930s the GWR had a problem on the Cambrian section: the line's old Duke Class 4-4-0s of 1895 were worn out and uneconomic, but the route's weight restrictions ruled out using the more modern 4-cylinder Stars or 4-6-0 Halls. Charles Collett's solution, in 1936, was to combine the existing Duke Class frames (which were the right size and weight for the Cambrian) with the larger Bulldog Class boiler and modern fittings.
The result was a true hybrid: existing frames, new boiler, modern cab and tender. 29 engines were built at Swindon between 1936 and 1939, mostly using older Duke and Earl Class frames as the basis. The class was nominally numbered in the 3200 series (hence the original class name) but was renumbered to 9000-9028 in 1946.
The Dukedog was a deliberately conservative design intended to extend the working lives of the older Duke frames at minimum cost. It was effective on the Cambrian and on the Welsh Border cross-country routes, and the small size and light axle load made the class particularly useful on weight-restricted lines.
Service and withdrawals
The Dukedogs spent their entire working lives on the Cambrian and Welsh Border services. They worked the Cambrian Coast Express, the Cambrian Coast main-line trains, and the cross-country expresses through the Welsh Borders. They were a familiar sight at Aberystwyth and Pwllheli in the summer holiday season.
The class was largely withdrawn in the late 1950s as BR Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0s and 4MT 4-6-0s took over the Cambrian services. The last Dukedog in regular service was withdrawn in 1960, and the class was extinct apart from the preserved 9017.
Identification features
Numbers and names
9000–9028
- 9000
- 9001
- 9002
- 9003
- 9004
- 9005
- 9006
- 9007
- 9008
- 9009
- 9010
- 9011
- 9012
- 9013
- 9014
- 9015
- 9016
- 9017
- 9018
- 9019
- 9020
- 9021
- 9022
- 9023
- 9024
- 9025
- 9026
- 9027
- 9028
3200–3228
- 3200
- 3201
- 3202
- 3203
- 3204
- 3205
- 3206
- 3207
- 3208
- 3209
- 3210
- 3211
- 3212
- 3213
- 3214
- 3215
- 3216
- 3217
- 3218
- 3219
- 3220
- 3221
- 3222
- 3223
- 3224
- 3225
- 3226
- 3227
- 3228
GWR 9000 to 9028 (originally 3200 to 3228, hence the class name; renumbered to the 9000 series in 1946 by the GWR). The class carried the names of various peers, hence the alternative name "Earl Class": Earl of Berkeley, Earl Bathurst, Earl of Cawdor, etc. The names were transferred from the older Earl Class engines that had previously carried them.
Notable locomotives
9017 Earl of Berkeley (originally 3217) is the surviving Dukedog. Built at Swindon Works in 1938, it spent its working life on the Cambrian section, allocated to Oswestry, Machynlleth, and Aberystwyth. After withdrawal in 1960 it was preserved by the Bluebell Railway in 1961 directly from BR service, and has worked at the Sussex line ever since. After successive overhauls it remains in working order at the Bluebell, currently allocated to Sheffield Park, where it carries the original GWR-period green livery.
The class's names were transferred from the older Earl Class engines, themselves rebuilds of the older Duke Class. The hybrid lineage gave the Dukedog one of the more complicated naming and numbering histories of any British steam class.
Allocations and regions
Livery history
The class was outshopped from new in GWR-style green with the GWR roundel on the tender. British Railways from 1948 painted the class in lined GWR-style green with the early lion-and-wheel emblem. The preserved 9017 has been kept in a representative GWR-period green livery throughout its preservation career.

