Bow Works (North London Railway)
Bow Works was the principal engineering establishment of the North London Railway, located at Bow in east London and operating from 1853 as the works responsible for building and maintaining the suburban tank engines that powered the NLR's intensive circular service across the northern arc of London between Broad Street, Hampstead, and Richmond. In its Victorian prime Bow Works was a self-contained locomotive engineering establishment of modest size but considerable technical interest, producing tank engines well-suited to the NLR's intensive stop-start suburban operation.
William Adams served as the NLR's Locomotive Superintendent at Bow from 1854 to 1873, during which time he developed the Adams bogie — a spring-controlled pivoting four-wheel truck that gave locomotives smooth and stable riding at speed — which became the standard British locomotive leading bogie and was adopted across virtually every British railway in the subsequent decades. Adams's practical invention at Bow Works was one of the most commercially consequential pieces of locomotive engineering of the entire Victorian era, improving the riding quality of express locomotives across the country.
After the NLR came under LNWR management in 1909 and was absorbed into the LMS at the 1923 Grouping, Bow Works continued as a heavy-overhaul shop for the former NLR locomotive fleet before closure in 1960. The works site is now occupied by housing and the Hammersmith and City Line's Barking depot — the east London railway infrastructure continuing to occupy the same general area where Adams developed his bogie design over a century and a half ago.
About
Bow Works was the principal locomotive works of the North London Railway from 1853, located at Bow in east London. The works built and maintained the dense suburban tank engine fleet that worked the NLR's intensive London-area services through the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Locomotive engineering at Bow was conducted under William Adams (Locomotive Superintendent 1854–1873), J. C. Park and Henry J. Pryce. After the NLR's working agreement with the LNWR (1909) and absorption into the LMS at the 1923 Grouping, Bow continued as a heavy-overhaul shop until closure in 1960. The works site is now occupied by housing and the new Bromley-by-Bow Underground depot of the Hammersmith & City Line.

