Leipzig–Dresden Railway Company (Germany)
The Leipzig–Dresden Railway Company (Leipzig-Dresdner Eisenbahn-Compagnie) built and operated the first long-distance railway in Germany, running 116 km between Leipzig and Dresden in the Kingdom of Saxony and opening in stages from 1837 to its full completion on 7 April 1839. Germany's entry into the railway age came only a few years after Britain's, and the Leipzig–Dresden Railway was equipped from the outset with British locomotive technology: the company's first engines were built by Robert Stephenson and Company of Newcastle to the Patentee 2-2-2 design that had become the standard British express locomotive of the late 1830s.
The decision to equip a German railway with British locomotives from Newcastle reflected the global dominance of British railway engineering in the 1830s — a dominance that persisted for several decades as British manufacturers supplied locomotives to railways across Europe, North America, India, and the wider world. The Patentee design that Robert Stephenson supplied to Germany was essentially the same type supplied to railways across Britain in the same period, demonstrating the portability of British locomotive technology even before continental manufacturers had developed their own capabilities.
The Leipzig–Dresden Railway was nationalised by the Kingdom of Saxony in 1876 to form part of the Royal Saxon State Railways, the first step in the consolidation of the German railway network that would eventually produce the Deutsche Reichsbahn. Its historical significance lies in its position as the first demonstration that the British railway model — steam-hauled passenger and freight services on purpose-built iron tracks — could be successfully transplanted to a continental European setting.
About
The Leipzig–Dresden Railway Company (Leipzig-Dresdner Eisenbahn-Compagnie) was a German railway company chartered in 1835 to build the first long-distance railway in Germany between Leipzig and Dresden. The line opened in stages from April 1837 (Leipzig–Althen) and was completed throughout to Dresden on 7 April 1839, a route of 116 km.
The company's first steam locomotive was Adler ('Eagle'), supplied by Robert Stephenson and Company of Newcastle in 1835 to a 2-2-2 Patentee design. Adler hauled the inaugural passenger trains on the Nuremberg–Fürth section of the Bavarian Ludwigsbahn (the first German railway to use steam) in December 1835, before being followed by sister engines for the Leipzig–Dresden line.
The Leipzig–Dresden was nationalised by the Kingdom of Saxony in 1876 to form part of the Royal Saxon State Railways (Königlich Sächsische Staatseisenbahnen).

