Puffing Billy

Notable history

The world's oldest surviving steam locomotive, built in 1813 and 1814 by the colliery viewer William Hedley, the enginewright Jonathan Forster and the blacksmith Timothy Hackworth for Christopher Blackett, owner of Wylam Colliery near Newcastle upon Tyne. She hauled chaldron wagons of coal from the pit at Wylam to the staiths at Lemington.

Her two vertical cylinders sat one either side of the boiler and drove a single crankshaft beneath the frames, from which gearing both drove and coupled the wheels, giving better adhesion than earlier designs. She remained at work for nearly half a century, until 1862, when she was lent to the Patent Office Museum at South Kensington. That museum became the Science Museum, which later bought her outright, and she remains on display in London.

Additional notes

Location and status last confirmed Science Museum, London, August 2026. Subject to verification.

Built in 1813–14 by William Hedley, Jonathan Forster and Timothy Hackworth for Christopher Blackett’s colliery at Wylam. Worked until 1862, when it was lent and then sold to the Patent Office Museum, which became the Science Museum. Rebuilt with extra wheels in 1815 to spread its weight and returned to four wheels around 1830 once the track was improved.

No owner or livery is recorded here; the source consulted gives the location and status but not those details.