Agenoria

Notable history

Built by Foster, Rastrick & Co of Stourbridge in 1829 for the Earl of Dudley's Shutt End Colliery Railway at Kingswinford, Agenoria is a close relative of the Stourbridge Lion, the first locomotive to run in the United States. She is named after a minor Roman goddess of industry.

Withdrawn from colliery service by about 1864, she was later found dismantled. E. B. Marten obtained permission from her owner, William Orme Foster, to reassemble her for an exhibition in 1884, after which Foster presented her to the Science Museum. She is displayed today in the Great Hall at the National Railway Museum in York.

Additional notes

Location and status last confirmed National Railway Museum, York, August 2026. Subject to verification.

Rediscovered in pieces around 1884, restored, shown at a Wolverhampton exhibition and given to the Science Museum by William Orme Foster in December 1884. Loaned to the LNER museum at York in 1937, moved to Reedsmouth during the Second World War, shown at the Festival of Britain in 1951 and back at York since 1974. Displayed with a replica tender.

No owner or livery is recorded here; the source consulted gives the location and status but not those details.