GWR 1366 Class
The GWR 1366 Class was a small fleet of six 0-6-0 pannier tank steam locomotives built at Swindon Works in 1934. Designed as a replacement for the older 1361 saddle tank for dock and short branch shunting work, the class is best remembered for its later role on the Wenford Bridge china clay branch in Cornwall, where the 1366s took over from the famous Beattie well tanks in 1962. One example, 1369, has survived in preservation at the South Devon Railway.
The 1366 was designed in the early 1930s as a replacement for the older 1361 saddle tank, an outside-cylinder Wolverhampton design of 1910 used for dock shunting and short trip working where the longer 5700 panniers could not safely fit. Six engines were built at Swindon in 1934 with the same general arrangement as the 1361 but with pannier tanks rather than a saddle. The class was a deliberate continuation of older practice rather than a step-change in design, and the very small size and short wheelbase made the 1366 useful for the kind of dock and short branch work no other GWR pannier tank could handle.
The six engines spent their first thirty years on the GWR's small dock and shunting work, principally Plymouth Sutton Harbour and Bristol's smaller goods yards. The class's most famous role came from 1962, when the 1366s replaced the older Beattie well tanks on the Wenford Bridge china clay branch in north Cornwall, the only branch their light axle load and short wheelbase could safely handle. They worked the branch until the line's clay traffic ended in 1968. The handover from the 1874 Beatties to the 1934 1366s, and then to diesel shunters in the late 1960s, brought to a close one of British railway history's most unusual long-running episodes.
One 1366 has survived. 1369 was preserved by the South Devon Railway directly from BR service and has been in working order at the line for many years. As one of the engines that worked the very last steam on the Wenford Bridge branch, 1369 is a meaningful preserved survivor of an exceptional chapter in Cornish railway history.
Design and development
The 1366 was designed in the early 1930s as a replacement for the older 1361 saddle tank, an outside-cylinder Wolverhampton design of 1910 used for dock shunting and short trip working where the longer 5700 panniers could not safely fit. The 1361 was reaching the end of its life and the GWR needed a small, short-wheelbase pannier tank with outside cylinders for the same kind of work.
Charles Collett authorised the design before his retirement in 1941, and Frederick Hawksworth (his successor) is sometimes credited because the build programme was completed in his time. Six engines were built at Swindon Works in 1934, with the same general arrangement as the 1361 but with pannier tanks rather than a saddle. The class was a deliberate continuation of older practice rather than a step-change in design.
Service and withdrawals
The 1366s spent their first thirty years on the GWR's small dock and shunting work, principally Plymouth Sutton Harbour and Bristol's smaller goods yards. From 1962 they were transferred to Wadebridge for Wenford Bridge branch service, replacing the Beattie well tanks. They worked the branch through the early 1960s until the line's clay traffic ended in 1968.
The class was withdrawn between 1964 and 1968, with all but 1369 going to scrap. The class was extinct in service apart from the preserved engine.
Identification features
Numbers and names
1366–1371
- 1366
- 1367
- 1368
- 1369
- 1370
- 1371
GWR 1366 to 1371. Although usually associated with Hawksworth, the class was actually authorised by Collett before his retirement; Hawksworth is sometimes credited because the class was largely an adaptation of an older design and showed the kind of conservative, narrow-purpose engineering that became typical of his tenure.
Notable locomotives
1369 is the surviving 1366. Built at Swindon Works in 1934, it spent its working life on dock shunting and (from the early 1960s) on the Wenford Bridge branch. After withdrawal in 1964 it was preserved by the South Devon Railway, where it has been a regular performer in heritage railway service. It is currently at the South Devon Railway in working order.
The class's most famous role was the Wenford Bridge branch handover. From 1962 the 1366s replaced the older Beattie well tanks on this isolated Cornish china clay branch, and 1369 was one of the engines that worked the very last steam services on the line. The handover from the 1874 Beatties to the 1934 1366s, and then to diesel shunters in the late 1960s, brought to a close one of British railway history's most unusual long-running episodes.
Allocations and regions
Livery history
The class was outshopped from new in plain GWR-style green. British Railways from 1948 painted the class in plain mixed-traffic black with the early lion-and-wheel emblem. The preserved 1369 has appeared in both GWR-style green and BR plain black during its preservation career.

