GCR Director Class

The GCR Director Class was a fleet of 11 4-4-0 express passenger steam locomotives designed by John George Robinson for the Great Central Railway. Built at Gorton Works between 1913 and 1920, the class was the GCR's premier express engine in the years before Grouping and continued in LNER service through the 1920s and 1930s. One example, 506 Butler-Henderson, has been preserved as part of the National Collection.

Robinson was the locomotive engineer of the GCR from 1900 and is regarded as one of the most accomplished British locomotive designers of his era. The Director Class of 1913 was Robinson's premier 4-4-0 express engine for the GCR's newly-opened London extension to Marylebone, designed for the company's most prestigious express services. The class shared its boiler with several of Robinson's other GCR designs and represented the GCR's confident pre-Grouping express engineering at its best.

The class was concentrated on GCR main-line work from Marylebone to Sheffield, Manchester, and Bradford. Major depots included Neasden, Leicester, Sheffield Darnall, and Manchester Central. From the LNER period the class continued to work GC main-line services. The class was followed by the LNER D11 Improved Director (1924), built as a slightly modified version under Gresley's direction.

The class was largely withdrawn between 1958 and 1960 as the LNER's newer 4-6-0s and 2-6-0s took over the work. 506 Butler-Henderson, named after Eric Butler-Henderson, a director of the Great Central Railway, was withdrawn in 1960 from Sheffield Darnall and selected for the National Collection. It is currently at the Locomotion museum at Shildon in working order, and is one of the only preserved GCR locomotives in any form. It carries GCR Brunswick green livery and is a striking representative of pre-Grouping express engineering.

Design and development

John George Robinson was the locomotive engineer of the Great Central Railway from 1900 and is regarded as one of the most accomplished British locomotive designers of his era. The Director Class of 1913 was Robinson's premier 4-4-0 express engine for the GCR's newly-opened London extension to Marylebone, designed for the company's most prestigious express services.

11 engines were built at Gorton Works between 1913 and 1920, including a small batch built during the First World War. The class was followed by the LNER's D11 Improved Director (1924), which was a Gresley-modified version of Robinson's original design with a larger boiler.

Service and withdrawals

The Directors spent their working lives on GCR and (later) LNER main-line express services from Marylebone to Sheffield, Manchester, and Bradford. They handled the GCR's premier London expresses and the cross-country services through to the West Riding. The class was largely withdrawn between 1958 and 1960 as the LNER's newer 4-6-0s and 2-6-0s took over the work.

Identification features

A handsome, well-proportioned 4-4-0 with a tall stovepipe chimney, a Belpaire firebox, and the elegant proportions associated with Robinson's Gorton designs. The Director carried the GCR coat of arms on the splashers and ran in the GCR's ornate Brunswick green livery.

Numbers and names

GCR429–439
  1. 429
  2. 430
  3. 431
  4. 432
  5. 433
  6. 434
  7. 435
  8. 436
  9. 437
  10. 438
  11. 439
GCR1913–1920
  1. 1913
  2. 1914
  3. 1915
  4. 1916
  5. 1917
  6. 1918
  7. 1919
  8. 1920
LNER5429–5439 renumbered
  1. 5429
  2. 5430
  3. 5431
  4. 5432
  5. 5433
  6. 5434
  7. 5435
  8. 5436
  9. 5437
  10. 5438
  11. 5439
BR62650–62660
  1. 62650
  2. 62651
  3. 62652
  4. 62653
  5. 62654
  6. 62655
  7. 62656
  8. 62657
  9. 62658
  10. 62659
  11. 62660

GCR 429 to 439, built at Gorton Works 1913 to 1920. LNER renumbered 5429 to 5439 from 1923, classified D11 (Improved Director). British Railways from 1948 added 60000 to give 62650 to 62660 for the survivors.

Notable locomotives

506 Butler-Henderson (later 5506, then 62660) is the surviving Director, named after Eric Butler-Henderson, a director of the Great Central Railway. Built at Gorton Works in 1920 as the last of the original GCR Director production, it spent its working life on GCR and LNER main-line expresses. Withdrawn in 1960 from Sheffield Darnall, it was selected for the National Collection on the recommendation of the LNER's preservation policy.

The engine was originally displayed at the National Railway Museum at York and is now at the Locomotion museum at Shildon in working order. After successive overhauls it has been a regular performer at heritage railways and on the main line, and is one of the only preserved GCR locomotives in any form.

Allocations and regions

The class was concentrated on GCR main-line work from Marylebone to Sheffield, Manchester, and Bradford. Major depots included Neasden, Leicester, Sheffield Darnall, and Manchester Central. From the LNER period the class continued to work GC main-line services from Marylebone.

Livery history

The class was outshopped from new in the GCR's ornate Brunswick green livery, fully lined out, with polished brass fittings and the GCR coat of arms on the splashers. The LNER from 1923 painted the class in apple green; British Railways from 1948 painted the survivors in lined dark green. The preserved 506 has been kept in GCR Brunswick green throughout its preservation career.